INDEX Page 1

Knightwick Index Page 2

Knightwick Church 1912 Knightwick Church Knightwick Church Knightwick Church Knightwick Church St Mary's, Knightwick St Mary's, Knightwick St Mary's, Knightwick Knightwick Church
Knightwick Church 1912
Knightwick Church
Knightwick Church
Knightwick
Church
Knightwick
Church
St Mary's, Knightwick
St Mary's, Knightwick
St Mary's, Knightwick
St Mary's,
Knightwick
Knightwick Choir Knightwick Nave - East East Window Knightwick Nave - West West Window G. W. Window Talbot from St. Mary's Old Knightwick Chapel Old Knightwick Church
Knightwick
Choir c.1960
Knightwick
Nave - East
Knightwick
East Window
Knightwick
Nave - West
Knightwick
West Window
Knightwick
G. W. Window
Talbot from
St Mary's
Old Knightwick Church
Old Knightwick Church
Old Knightwick Church Porch Old Knightwick Church Knightwick Chapel Knightwick  Cemetery Knightwick Old Rectory Knightwick Old Rectory St. Andrew's Doddenham Guides 1926 Guides 50 years
Old Knightwick Church Porch
Old Knightwick Church
Knightwick
Chapel
Knightwick
Cemetery
Knightwick
Old Rectory
Knightwick
Old Rectory
St. Andrew's Doddenham
Guides 1926
Guides 50 years
Guides Swedish Trip Guides Mascot Old Girl Guide Guides Princess Guides Brownies Knightwick School Knightwick School C1-1908 Knightwick School C2-1908
Guides
Swedish Trip
Guides Mascot
Old Girl Guide
Guides
Princess
Guides
Brownies
Knightwick School
Knightwick School C1-1908
Knightwick School C2-1908
Knightwick School C3-1908 School Teacher School 1932 School 1932 School 1934 School 1935 School 1951 School 1951 School 1951
Knightwick School C3-1908
School Teacher
School 1932
School 1932
School 1934
School 1935
School 1951
School 1951
School 1951
School Trip Reunion June 2005 Reunion June 2005 School 1940's Newspaper Knightwick Poem Knightwick School Knightwick Sanatorium Knightwick Sanatorium
School Trip
Reunion
June 2005
Reunion June 2005
School 1940's
Newspaper
Knightwick
Poem
Knightwick School
Knightwick Sanatorium
Knightwick Sanatorium
Sanatorium Nurses Sanatorium Nurses Sanatorium Information Knightwick Sanatorium View of Sanatorium Tennis Courts Sanatorium Pre 1945 Sanatorium Pre 1914 Sanatorium Knightwick Sanatorium
Sanatorium
Nurses
Sanatorium
Nurses

Sanatorium
Information

Knightwick
Sanatorium
View of Sanatorium
Tennis Courts
Sanatorium
Pre 1945
Sanatorium
Pre 1914
Sanatorium
Knightwick Sanatorium
1909 Sanatorium 1913- 1925 Sanatorium Croquet Sanatorium Croquet 1906 Sanatorium Croquet 1906 Sanatorium Knightwick Sanatorium
1909
Sanatorium
Card
Sanatorium
1908
Sanatorium
1906
Sanatorium
1913- 1925
Sanatorium
Croquet
Sanatorium
Croquet 1906
Sanatorium
Croquet 1906
Sanatorium
Knightwick Sanatorium
Knightwick Sanatorium View of Sanatorium Veranda Sanatorium Two Girls at the Sanatorium Group of Girls Sanatorium Doctor at the Sanatorium Nurse at the Sanatorium Talbot Hotel Knightwick
Knightwick Sanatorium
View of Sanatorium
Veranda
Sanatorium
Two Girls at the
Sanatorium
Group of Girls
Sanatorium
Doctor at the
Sanatorium
Nurse at the Sanatorium
Talbot Hotel
View of
Talbot
Talbot 05-08-1912 AA Box Talbot Hotel Knightwick Talbot Hotel Knightwick
Talbot 1910
from Bridge
Talbot Hotel
1953
Talbot Hotel
Talbot Hotel
Sketch of
Talbot
Talbot Card
AA Box
Talbot Hotel
Knightwick
Talbot Hotel
Knightwick
AA Box Telephone Kiosk      
AA Box
Telephone
Kiosk
AA Motorbike
Ankerdine
Knightwick
Birmingham Angling Club
Knightsford Bridge
   


Knightwick is steeped in history and some of the facts that can be learnt are as follows:-

Knightwick is a parish containing 857 acres, of which 8 acres are covered with water, on the Herefordshire border of the county, on the right bank of the River Teme. Sapey Brook forms part of its western boundary. The Worcester and Bromyard branch of the Great Western railway passes through the parish and has a station called Knightwick station just outside the parish boundary on the east. Suckley station, on the southern boundary, is in this parish at Knightwick Row. Two roads branch off from the Bromyard road near Woodford House in the north of the parish. One branch passes over the Teme at Knightsford Bridge and leads north to Martley, and the other branch leads southwards past Knightwick station to Malvern. From the latter road a branch passes south-west to Knightwick Row, and is connected by a cross road with the village of Knightwick. At the south-east of the parish near Suckley station is an early 17th-century half-timber cottage of one story with an attic, known locally as 'the old house.' Adjoining it to the west is a cart-shed, also of half-timber. The village contains a few cottages and houses, of no architectural interest, the rectory, a mortuary chapel erected in 1879 on the site of the old church of St. Mary the Virgin and a graveyard. The present church of St. Mary the Virgin for this parish and Doddenham is at Knightsford Bridge in Doddenham and was built in 1856. The manorhouse, the residence of Mr. Thomas Lawson Walker, J.P., stands to the west of the village. It is a red brick two-story house of U plan with tiled roofs, built in the Queen Anne period partly on the foundations of an earlier 17th-century building. The entrance front is on the south-east, with the main doorway covered by a light wooden porch in the centre. The four angles of the main block are pilastered, while the windows are long and narrow and glazed with small square panes; at the ends and back of the house are blank window recesses designed to complete the symmetry of the elevation. Above the hipped roofs two chimneys rise from the centre of the main block and two from the ends of the projecting wings at the back. There is a cellar under the south part of the house, the two-light mullioned openings to which on the south side retain the sandstone dressings of the earlier building. The hall, which is entered directly from the main doorway, has the parlour and dining room on the south, some domestic apartments on the north, and the staircase on the west, with a modern addition at the back filling the space between the two wings. Above the hall fireplace there is a carved oak panelled chimney-piece of the latter half of the 17th century, the panels being divided by pairs of slender turned balusters supporting a cornice. The walls of the parlour are covered entirely with Jacobean panelling in small squares with a fluted frieze. A recess on the south flanked by fluted Ionic columns supporting a cornice surmounted by a broken curved pediment is contemporary with the rebuilding of the house in the Queen Anne period. At the back of this recess is a painting of four nude children, probably of contemporary date. The plaster ceiling is divided into four deep panels with moulded edges. Above the modern fireplace is a piece of carved oak overmantel of the Charles II period. The stairs to the first floor are modern, but above there is an early 18th-century dog-legged stair with a moulded handrail and turned balusters.

The scenery of the valley where the River Teme has broken its way through the hills is very beautiful. The hills are usually rounded and wooded, but in places precipitous cliffs fall straight to the river as at Rosebury Rock. To the north are some old brickworks.

The north of the parish lies in the valley of the Teme, but the land rises rapidly to the south, reaching a height of 400 ft. above the ordnance datum at the south-eastern boundary. In 1905 Knightwick contained 290 acres of arable land and 487 of permanent grass.  The subsoil is Keuper Sandstone, the soil loam, clay and marl, producing crops of wheat, beans, fruit and hops.

A quick thank you here, to several friends who have helped me with many of these images. They are Peter Walker, Major [Retd] Janet Brodie-Murphy, Garston Phillips, Geraldine Cooper, Nicholas Cronin and Keith Boulton.

Philip Holland

Home ©peh