Left ArrowRight Arrow

Ben and Doris, Wedding

Doris Winifred Hayward and Benjamin John Bayliss, at the front of St. Mary Magdalene Church, Broadwas, Worcester. After their Wedding Ceremony.

On the left of the photo is Graham John Holland (2nd cousin of the Bride) and on the right hand side is Annie Elizabeth (Jones) Wilkinson (the Brides Auntie).

Annie did not like her name and called herself Winnie.

Winnie's sister, Fanny May (Jones) (Hayward) Petty was the Brides mother.

Winnie and Fanny May's brother, John William Jones, was Graham's Grandfather.

Standing just behind Doris is the best man Robert John Roberts.

Doris Winifred Hayward
Born: Tuesday, 18th May, 1920.
Married: Benjamin John Bayliss
On: Saturday, 14th January,1950.
At: St Mary Magdalene Church, Broadwas, Worcester.
view marriage certificate
Fathers: James Bayliss - Wheelwright and Charles Hayward (deceased).
Witnesses: Walter Henry Bayliss and Robert John Roberts.
Rector: Arthur J. Hemming.


Barbara, John, Robert and Mary

Ben and Doris had four children:-

Barbara Bayliss - b. 14th May, 1950.
John J. Bayliss - b. 12th October, 1951.
Robert C. Bayliss - b. 19th January, 1953.
Mary Edith Bayliss - b. 15th June, 1956.

The photo on left are from left to right.

John, Robert, Mary and Barbara.


Below are links to family census forms. - Click on census form to come back to this page.

Nathaniel and John are brothers, their parents were John and Elizabeth Bayliss.

John and Ann's son was James Bayliss.

James married Amy Jones and their son was Benjamin John Bayliss.

1851 Nathaneal Bayliss
1861 Nathaneal Bayliss
1871 Nathaneal Bayliss
1881 Nathaneal Bayliss
1891 Nathaneal Bayliss
1901 Nathaneal Bayliss
1911 Nathaneal Bayliss

1851 John Bayliss
1861 John Bayliss
1871 John Bayliss
1881 John Bayliss
1891 John Bayliss
1901 John Bayliss
1911 John Bayliss

1911 James Bayliss

1911 Benjamin John Bayliss
1921 Benjamin John Bayliss

John Bayliss, married Elizabeth Lawrence, on the 8th May, 1827. At Ullinswick, Herefordshire.

Their son John Bayliss, later married Ann Bowen, in 1865; and their son James was the father of Benjamin John Bayliss.

Ben married Doris Hayward and they had, Barbara, John, Robert and Mary.

John's brother, Nathaniel Bayliss, married Elizabeth Badham in Worcester on 11th December, 1888 and they were the Great Uncle and Aunty of, Barbara, John, Robert and Mary.

St. Luke's Lych Gate, Ulingswick, Herefordsire.

St Luke, Ullingswick, Herefordshire.

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7 - Ullingswick, Herefordshire.


A small parish and village pleasantly situated in a vale 1½ miles N.W. of the main road leading from Hereford to Bromyard, and about 1 mile N. of the road between Ledbury and Leominster. It is distant 6 miles S.W. of Bromyard, 9 N.E. of Hereford, 10 S.E. of Leominster, and 5 E. of Dinmore railway station; is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Ocle-Pychard (Burley Gate) polling district. The population in 1861 was 318; in 1871, 323; inhabited houses, 68; families or separate occupiers, 74; area of parish, 1,182a. 0r. 24p.; annual rateable value, £1,704. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and with John Parker, Esq., James Parker, Esq., William R. George, Esq., William Lort, Esq., Mr. John Skerrett, and Mrs. Ann Carless, are the landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil, rock and clay; products, wheat, beans, hops, fruit, &c. The hills in this parish command most extensive and pleasing prospects. Ullingswick is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a rectory, annexed to the chapelry of Cowarne Parva; joint value, £335, with residence and 54 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Worcester; rector, Rev. John Middleton Ware, LL.B., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1855.
The church, (name of patron saint unknown) was thoroughly restored in 1863, at a cost of £800; half the money was contributed by church building societies, and the remainder by subscription. It was reopened for divine service, April 10th, 1863. It has a cupola with three bells, one of which was subscribed for in memory of the late Prince Consort. The interior consists of nave, chancel, south porch, and some memorial windows by Clayton & Bell, of London. All the seats (144) are free. The organ was presented by Mrs. J. Garbett in 1867. The font, altar cloths, &c., were also presented. The earliest register is dated 1562. The Rectory house was entirely rebuilt by the present rector. There is a school for boys and girls, supported by subscription. About £400 have been spent on the school premises since 1870. The children from Little Cowarne attend it also; total average attendance, 40.

Letters are received through Worcester via Bromyard, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office. The wall letter-box, near the Pulling farm, is cleared at 2.50 p.m. on week-days only. Letters should be addressed - Ullingswick, Bromyard, Worcester.
Parish Church.- Rev. John Middleton Ware, LL.B., Rector; Mr. Thomas James Baker, Churchwarden; Henry Hodges, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Miss Jane Trow, Mistress.
Carriers to Hereford.- John Skerrett every Wednesday and Saturday, returning the same days; William Cross (from Little Cowarne) also passes through the parish.

Rev. John Middleton Ware, LL.B. (Rector of Ullingswick with Little Cowarne), The Rectory
Mr. Richard Williams

Thomas James Baker, [farmer and hop grower] Lower Court.
James Bayliss, [farmer and hop grower] Lower Criftage.
John Bayliss, [wheelwright, &c.] Little Hope.
Thomas Davies, [farmer and hop grower] Marsh.
David Griffiths, [surgeon]
John Hill, [farmer] Broom hill; res., The Green, Felton.
Charles Hodges, [mason] Tack Lane.
Henry Hodges, [parish clerk]
Thomas Hyde, [boot and shoe maker]
Miss Mary Ann Jones, [farmer and hop grower] The Pulling Farm.
George Lewis, [farmer and hop grower] Wildon Court.
William Lewis, [farmer] Lowdy Hall.
John Owen, [farmer, beer retailer, and assistant overseer] Blestacre.
William Parker, [farmer and hop grower] Upper Court.
Joseph Johnson Richards, [butcher]
Herbert Skerrett, [farmer and hop grower] The Gobbetts.
John Skerrett, [farmer and hop grower] Pool House.
John Skerrett, [carrier]
William & John Stephens, [cottage farmers] Derndale.
James Taylor, [farmer] Steps farm, Upper Town.
Miss J. Trow, [schoolmistress] The Pulling.
Thomas Vale, [farmer and hop grower]
John Wilkins, [farmer and hop grower] The Linnett.
James Wood, [farmer & hop grower] Upperton.